Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Pitchblende Fundraiser Sestina #5: The Sestina of Romantic Conjunctions

The Sestina of Romantic Conjunctions

Before we met, I woke up for
my own reflection's gawking, but
I never named me island, nor
the silence woe or empty, so
you stung static-electric. Or
we can tell this differently. And

let's start sentences with and!
And let's confess we're living for
eachother's breath, bliss siphons or
some overwritten symbol, but
we won't stop to find our feet so
there's no hope of slowing down, nor

navigating. I'm no captain, nor
am I a city driver, and
I miss turns. I'm all a'dream, so
I may not be the best guide for
this caravan of feelings, but
who knows? No one's found us yet. Or

maybe we're still newbie scouts, or
nothing's there for us to find nor
maps drawn for these countries, but
let me hold you while you sleep and
we'll break outworn systems for
a more sustainable design. So,

if you want to draw a plan so
we can choose which lines to bend, or
sit across a breakfast plate for
scrambled eggs and Kona blend (nor
and neither talk too much), you and
I could breed an infant world. “But

how?” you say! “But why construct? But
can we each be whole, conjunct?” So
many answers can be both, and
love's never been an either/or.
I can't give you my breathing nor
heart, but maybe what they pump for.

Each second holds if, and, or but.
So, act for love, not who nor what.



Jade's Notes:

This sestina was written for the fabulous Daniel Nester, former editor of McSweeney's Internet Tendency's now-kaput sestina section, and current editor of the Incredible Sestina Anthology, which contains my "Facebook Sestina" along with many other fantastic and exciting poems.

Daniel is a true sestina master, and posed this challenge: 
End words: all the major coordinating conjunctions: for, and, nor, but, or, so.

Since this was a poem centering around words that connect, I decided to write a love poem. It's been too long since I've written a love poem. ;)

Daniel
 said he didn't care one way or another about meter. For some reason, this thing came out in iambic octameter. Who knows.

Also, I ended it with a couplet, each line containing three of the repeated words, as opposed to the traditional tercet, each line containing two of the repeated words, because it's wonderful to end love poems with rhyming couplets.

He also asked that I use no curse words. Somehow, I managed.


More Pitchblende fundraiser sestinas on the way! Follow Pitchblende on Facebook and Twitter!