Thursday, October 27, 2011

Sleeping w/ Pete + Keith


This is what my bookshelf* looks like right now.

We've moved into the nerve-wracking portion book-proposal of More Popular Than Jesus. Steve is handling the sales part of it (Thank Effing Christ), and I'm trying to write my little** piece on The Who and not think about the uncertainty and capriciousness of the publishing industry. Not that I have any negative experience with that or anything.

I'm learning how to say no. It's hard to say no to social invitations or performance requests when you grew up dreaming of being wanted. Writing needs space. Needs aloneness, if not loneliness. It's a weird thing to cultivate intentionally for someone who's felt lonely her whole life.

Other than that, I'm focusing on working at Karma Yoga, making new Madame Psychosis songs with LoWreck, applying for grants, and mailing out poem submissions. It feels good to be working on my own art again.

I've been popping in and out of Occupy Boston. I've been down there several times -- a musician friend of mine played a set last week, and I taught a free yoga class on Friday. I've been down there about four times all together, and it feels super important and I'm thrilled that there are so many people who seem to think in line with all the crazy shit I've been muttering to myself for years, and are using their bodies (peacefully!) to let this behemoth of a system know that its habits are unacceptable. At the same time, half the times I've been down there I've gotten some pretty creepy vibes. A lot of anger, a lot of confusion. Of course, living outside in a tent in the middle of the Financial District in October in Boston would sour almost anyone's mood.

It really felt like winter today in Boston.



*the left half of my bed


**really fucking huge

No comments: