Sunday, November 22, 2009

chill

In Boston there suddenly is a winter chill in the air that feels oddly comforting to me.  Maybe it's that crisp pre-snow smell that makes me think of coming days of baking and staying in with a movie and a bottle of wine, or maybe it's the holidays, with all the bullshit-eschewing love and feasting and warm sweaters and dresses and lipstick and champagne flutes, or maybe it's an olfactory nostalgia for my first winter here, that first November-January almost two years ago now when I really felt like Massachusetts was my home, my friends here a new, bizarre ad-hoc family.

Derek is coming home with me for Thanksgiving on Wednesday.  Everyone will be there.  Dad, Mom, John, Val, Grandma, and MJ.  I can't wait to spend all day baking with my mom and sit with everyone in front of the fire with a glass of Baileys or champagne.  Amazing how much these little things mean to you when you grow up.

No comments: