Monday, June 15, 2009

Pike Hoses

Taking this abnormal psych class has brought up some interesting emotions.

The book is clearly geared toward young college students, for instance, I a lot of the case studies are "Steve is a 21-year-old college student," "Mary is obsessed with getting straight As," "Bilbo sought the advice of the campus counselor," and so on.  The book itself is bringing me back to when I was that age, not to mention the book is about abnormal psych, and college was the time when my depression and OCD were at their most incorrigible.

I can't help but think if I had been able to get those problems under control sooner how much farther along I'd be now.  Maybe I'd have a full-time job now, or I'd have made better writing connections earlier, or I'd have moved to the city when I was younger, or I'd just have gotten better grades.  

Now that I know I can live with these things without medication and maybe even channel them into positive outcomes, I am kicking myself that I didn't figure that out sooner.

I spent two hours on the phone crying to my mom last week after reading two chapters of my homework.  All the statistics of unemployed and financially dependent people with mental disorders may have gotten to me.  Or maybe it was just the memories.

All this pathos makes me think I'm moving in the right direction.


PS: I am apparently the last to know that Neil Gaiman is now dating Amanda Palmer.  I guess I have to start listening to her music.

1 comment:

llq said...

how are you!This was a really brilliant website!I come from ukLouboutin Shoes, I was fortunate to approach your blog in google