Sunday, February 22, 2009

I just moved into a new place with three girls. It is big, clean, inexpensive, and has a killer location. This excites me, and I mention it often, because my last place was a bona-fide shit hole.

HOWEVER:

Whenever I bring up the fact that I just moved with someone new who has a vague familiarity with my life, their first reflexive response is invariably, "Oh, is it just you and Derek?"

If you are not vaguely familiar with my personal life, Derek is my boyfriend of almost a year and a half.

Granted, I guess we're getting close to "that age" where a fresh wave of singles are settling down (after all those kids who got married right after college, the late twenties seems to hold up a net with considerably smaller holes), but is it really expected to move in with someone after a year? I guess it was at a year and a half or thereabouts that I moved in with my last serious boyfriend, but in retrospect I would call that a little impetuous. I also do know many, many couples around my age who moved in together after less than a year.

Maybe it's because I've done it before and had it end so badly that I'm more inclined to let things go on at a comfortable distance without bringing these kinds of things up. I tend to be fairly laissez-faire in relationships, and I rarely sit down and think about what I want out of them. This is probably a character flaw, I just don't really know how do fix it, especially when it's so easy just to go on day to day without addressing it. At the same time, I hate the feeling of following someone else all the time. I don't want to be like this forever.

1 comment:

Chad Parenteau said...

I'm dying to find out if you've put up...the sticker yet.