Monday, December 29, 2008

Because I Like to Reflect

A Year End Survey I stole from Jess D.B.


1. Was this a good year for you?
It started out like a dream, got rockier in the springtime, summer was bipolar, and fall was a bit melancholic.

2. What did you do this year that you'd never done before?
Worked in Marketing. Worked in an office. Joined a gym and started going regularly. Made a normal person amount of money (briefly). Went to Vermont. Went to Myrtle Beach. Got a color tattoo. Visited my brother in Michigan.

3. Did you keep your New Years' resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't do these things.

4. What was your favorite moment of the year?
I'm sure something very small and very private. All my trips to New York were pretty fabulous, too. And all the beaches. And Wolf Parade when they played "I'll Believe in Anything" and so many of my favorite people were next to me.

5. What was your least favorite moment of the year?
1. When my agent said she wouldn't represent my newest novel no matter what I did to it. 2. Coming home to find my apartment robbed and my computer (among other things) stolen. 3. Having my cold sore migrate to my throat and having the Walk In Doctor tell me it was genital herpes (which it wasn't), and being in some of the worst pain I've ever experienced in bed for days with the wrong drugs on narcotic pain killers, then the subsequent eye-infection, all before I had any insurance.

6. What would you like to have next year that you lacked this year?
A book published.

7. What date from this year will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
Halloween was fun. One of those great epic nights. I was a dead Japanese school girl from Battle Royale.


8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I finished a draft of a novel and came (I feel) a really long way as a poet.

9. What was your biggest failure?
Not getting anything published.

10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
See 5:3

11. Whose behavior merited celebration?
All of my friends are wonderful in their own psychotic ways.

12. Did you break up with anyone this year?
No, believe it or not.

13. Did you make any new friends this year?
Tara, Greg, Constantine, Stephanie (Jen? Amanda? I forget when I met them)


14. Did you travel outside of the U.S. this year?
Sadly, no. This does not make me the happiest.

15. How many different states did you travel to this year?
Like 9 or 10.

16. Did you lose anybody close to you this year?
No, all still hanging around.

17. Did you miss anybody in the past year?
I miss my family a lot. And a few other people.

18. What was your favorite movie you saw this year?
Probably I'm Not There. I had the most fun at that one.

19. What was your favorite song?
"Hold On" by Tom Waits, "Slow Show," by the National, "I'll Believe in Anything" by Wolf Parade

20. What was your favorite album?
Probably one of the above.

21. Favorite TV show?
Arrested Development. So I'm slow on the uptake. I haven't had TV in like eight years.

22. What was the best book you read?
Infinite Jest. I was halfway through when DFWRIP hanged himself.

23. How many concerts did you see this year?
Like, a whole, whole lot.

24. What was the funniest moment of this year?
The hardest I laughed was probably when I was puking into a clear plastic bag on a sparsely peopled subway car at 2am in NYC next to a college kid I'd spoken to before like once who just got a fifty dollar ticket for having his feet up on the seats. It was that Kafkaesque humor.

25. What did you want and get?
Friends, Love, Fun

26. What's one thing you wish had happened this year?
That someone had picked up my first book.

27. Did you do anything you are ashamed of this year?
I got way too drunk several times and made people deal with stupid bullshit.

28. How much money did you spend this year?
Is there any answer but "too much?"

29. Where did most of your money go?
rent, booze, fun, clothes, food, tattoos

30. What was the best thing you bought?
Nice boots.

31. What was your most embarrassing moment of the year?
Realizing that my dreams weren't coming true yet.

32. If you could go back in time to any moment of this year, what would it be?
One of the best times of my life was last winter when I barely had to work and had just met all my friends and realized I was in love with an awesome guy and had representation for my novel and was doing for the first time in my life everything I wanted. I really cannot think of a time I was overall happier.

33. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Things happening with writing, all my new friends and my boyfriend. Visiting my family and going to Cape Cod. Lots of other little things.

35. Compared to this time last year, are you...

-happier or sadder? unfortunately, I guess sadder

-thinner or fatter? Hard to say. I guess thinner but I also have a lot more muscle. I'm definitely "fitter." (Yoga!)

-richer or poorer? Poorer

36. What do you wish you'd done more of?

Played more guitar. I'd say written more but I always think I should write more.

37. What do you wish you'd done less of?
Cry. Feel sorry for myself. Waste time on the internet.

38. How will you be spending New Years?
Dave and Mike are DJing a party in South Boston.

39. Did you fall in love this year?
Thereabouts.

40. How many one-night stands?
None. I'm antipoly. I had a few one-night stands with bottles, though. Take that how you will.

41. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 26, and a bunch of us went to Deep Ellum and then sang karaoke at DoReMi. It was rockin.

42. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
Seeing more of my brother. Having roommates who cleaned up once in a while.

43. How would you describe your personal fashion concept this year?
It's hilarious that people exist who find me attractive.

44. What kept you sane?
My friends. Derek. My long distance family. Whiskey. Excercise and yoga. Quentin Tarentino movies. Cupcakes and ice cream and egg and cheese sandwiches and Burdick's hot chocolate and homemade pizza and Ritter bars and anything Alana or Mandy made.

45. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I probably thought the most about Barack Obama and David Foster Wallace. Some musicians, too. Got really into Tom Waits. Jack White is always there. And of course, Naked Scarlett Johansson. For some reason, though, I kind of wish the answer to this was Tyra Banks.

46. Who was the best new person you met?
Tara, Greg, Constantine, Stephanie (Jen? Amanda? I forget when I met them)


47. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned this year.
People really will steal stuff that actually belongs to you.

48. What are your plans for the next year?
Find a way to support myself that doesn't make me want to sever veins. Keep on with the art stuff.

49. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
"I'm dyin for some action. I'm sick of sittin round here tryin'a write this book." (Springsteen)

No comments: