Sunday, March 18, 2007

Rejection

Two rejection letters yesterday. These are fast. I only sent them out a few weeks ago. I've waited months for rejection letters before.

Rejections don't bother me as much as they used to, but they still sting. I do wonder why I bother at times. I send out scores of poems to dozens of journals, and receive nothing but rejection after rejection. I wonder at times what you're probably thinking now. "When are you going to take the hint? If you were any good, someone would have figured it out by now. Why don't you give up and do something worthwhile?"

I don't know. I really don't. But I just keep on going.

2 comments:

mr.choi said...

hello, my name is joon. i also have trouble in getting my writings accepted by mass media.

in my case, i tried a short tv drama script but KBS rejected mine.

well i think, everything just takes time...to happen. on one side, i'm a struggling writer but on the other side, i'm a freelancer computer programmer. but it took a long time to be a freelancer. it really took a long time.

by the way, i move to japan next month. there, i will send a japanese version of my work to fuji tv. i don't care whether or not they accept.

Hillary Demmon said...

the only people who ever get published are the people who understand and internalize that the process sees far more rejection letters than acceptance letters. that's just the nature of it. honestly, the number of rejection letters you get has very little to do with the quality of your writing.