Sunday, March 4, 2007

Introduction

Welcome to the first entry of The Broken Watch. Here are a few things you should know.

I'm a struggling novelist, poet, and (now) blogger living in Boston, Massachusetts. I'm currently revising a manuscript of one novel and laying the groundwork for another. I also write and perform poetry, and am in the ongoing process of sending out poems and shorter prose pieces to various publications with the hope of getting something published and breaking onto the scene. I'm a member of a few writing groups, and I frequent several open mics, readings, and slams around town.

As you've probably figured out by the facts that A) I am a writer, B) I am relatively young, and C) you have never heard of me, I don't have a ton of money. Consequently, I also work at Starbucks, as well as other occasional odd jobs. Starbucks is a good job with people I like, but it leaves me in near constant moral quandary in relation to the ethics of megacorporations and the amount of resources utilized and wasted by these megacorporations. But I do get free coffee.

"The Broken Watch" is an allusion to William Faulkner's The Sound and the Fury, which, gun to my head, is my favorite novel.

Now that we've got all that out of the way, I hope you enjoy looking at my weblog as much as I'll enjoy the beer I'll be drinking while I post here. We'll talk soon.

Until then,
-JS

No comments: